When I was young, I devoured every style book and magazine I could get my hands on. From designer and model profiles to how-to guides, I’ve absorbed all of this information like a sponge. While I count dozens and dozens of blogs and magazines among my go-to resources, there’s nothing quite like settling down with a good book. There is no shortage of fashion, beauty and style books on store shelves, but they are not created equal. Here are some of my favorites, creative, enterprising and inspiring women, as well as a very special gentleman. Throw the trashy novel aside and add it to your style library, stat! Knowledge is power.
• My sweet and beautiful friend and fellow Bostonian Maria Menounos has real experience in losing and maintaining weight. Her fantastic new book, “The EveryGirl’s Guide to Diet and Fitness,” will help you do the same. Hot in the press this week!
• “#GIRLBOSS”, by Sophia Amoruso, describes the rapid rise of Sophia and her company, Nasty Gal, through unconventional means. It’s a great read for anyone in need of a serious pep talk. And we all do it once in a while, right?
• One of the most dreamlike books I have read in a long time is “The Glow: An Inspiring Guide to Stylish Motherhood,” by Violet Gaynor and Kelly Stuart. The stories and images are breathtaking and immerse you in the lives of some of the most stylish moms in the world.
• Tim Gunn is my mentor and his collection of books serves as a master class in all things fashion and style. From the “Fashion Bible” to “Gunn’s Golden Rules” to “A Guide to Quality Taste and Style”, each is a must-have. Read the. Know them. Live them. # Make it work
• For sheer fun and a huge dose of creativity, Cynthia Rowley’s anthology of Swell books is where it is. “Swell: A Girl’s Guide to the Good Life”, “Home Swell Home: Designing Your Dream Pad” and “Swell Holiday: Turning Up the Twinkle” are books that I read regularly.
• “DV”, by Diana Vreeland, is one of the most interesting glimpses of the glamorous world of the fashion business, by one of the most interesting and lively characters who have ever graced it.
• Alicia Drake’s “The Beautiful Fall” is a captivating read on a little-known feud between two fashion giants: Karl Lagerfeld and Yves Saint Laurent.
• One of the goals in my life was to write my own style book and I’m more than happy to have accomplished this. I hope “Style and the Successful Girl” serves as a valuable guide for girls of all ages for years to come.
For more fashion tips, trends, and timeless advice, check out Gretta’s articles on BostonHerald.com’s Stylize Blog and GrettaStyle.com.